Happy holidays! It can be so hard to find vegan sweets around the holidays – here’s a quick guilt-free (ish) cookie recipe! This one uses applesauce as an egg substitute and coconut oil as a butter substitute. There are a lot out there that use vegan butter instead but I don’t really like vegan butter and eating coconut oil has a ton of benefits (help digestion + improves blood cholesterol to name a few!) … sooooo they’re healthy right?!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid (be sure it is not melted at all and stay on the light side!!!)
- 1 and 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (I like to use the thicker Thai variety, but any coconut milk will work)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (be sure not to pack your flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 2 cups chocolate chips (use vegan chocolate chips if you’re vegan!! Whole Foods has the best ones), divided
- Flaky sea salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla, beating until well combined. Add in the coconut milk and applesauce and whisk until well combined; set aside. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; whisk well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and, using a wooden spoon or very sturdy spatula, stir until ingredients are combined. The batter will be very thick! Fold in 1 and 3/4 cups of the chocolate chips.
- Scoop three tablespoon sized mounds of dough onto the prepared cookie sheet, leaving a few inches between each cookies for spreading. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the centers have set. Press remaining chocolate chips on top of warm cookies, and sprinkle with sea salt, if using. Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
They taste just like regular cookies (everyone I gave them to didn’t even know they were vegan and loved them!!) Enjoy!!!!