I turned 21 a month ago, so I wanted to share 21 of the most important little lessons I’ve learned in 21 years. Disclaimer: some of them are a bit cheesy. It’s fine. Disclaimer #2: I don’t always follow these. But I’m trying.
1. It’s ok to not be ok. This is my life motto. Everyone struggles and there is no problem with that.
2. Never beg someone to stay. If someone wants to be in your life they will. You deserve someone who wants to stay with you.
3. You control your mindset – a positive outlook changes everything. You will live a much happier life if you learn to control your thoughts and change negative thoughts to positive ones. Try it for a day.
4. Relationships + lives are not as perfect as they appear on social media. No ones life is perfect, no matter what their Instagram feed looks like. I have literally posted an Instagram of myself smiling with a happy caption when I was sad or a happy relationship photo when we were fighting. I’m not the only one.
5. You have sooooo much love in your heart to give. Spread it as often as possible. Love on others as much as you can. You have the power to make someone’s day!! Use it.
6. If someone treats you poorly for no reason, it is a reflection of their character – not yours. Don’t blame yourself.
7. Learn to say no. Super hard if you’re a people-pleaser like me but it’s ok to say no to things you don’t want to do!!!!!!
8. Driving and listening to your favorite song will always make you feel a little better.
9. Give yourself time to breathe when you’re stressed. If you’re like me, it’s hard to take a break – but learn that taking a break is good.
10. One little act of kindness every day goes a long way. Offer to take someone’s shopping cart for them, let the car in front of you in even if there’s traffic, smile at strangers, send that “thinking of you” text to a friend…… it’s little things people.
11. It is ok to put yourself first sometimes. Not in a selfish way, but sometimes you have to – and there is nothing wrong with that.
12. Open up to others. On some level, everyone has felt the way you feel before. It isn’t healthy to keep things bottled up.
13. Do not define yourself and your worth by your relationships. Your value lies within you, and not with someone else.
14. It is ok if your plan does not always work out how you think. As someone who likes to have everything planned out all the time, this can be so tough to get over at first… but that’s part of the fun right?!
15. Don’t wait around for someone who wouldn’t wait for you. Who has time for that am I right?!?!
16. Being a woman in the working world can be tough – but you have to be strong. Multiple times in the music industry, I have been denied great opportunities – literally just “because I’m a girl.”
17. If someone makes you feel like shit all the time, cut them off. Don’t stay friends with people who are always cutting you down!! No one needs that!!
18. You can always be doing better and working harder. In school, at your job, in your relationships. Be the best that you can be.
19. Remembers those things you thought you’d never get over when you were 16? No? Exactly. Time heals all.
20. You are the only person who can make yourself truly happy. Be good to yourself – you’re the only one one that will always be by your side.
21. You literally never stop learning and growing and it’s so cool. You aren’t the person you were a year ago, a few months ago, maybe even a few weeks ago…. and that is a good thing. You are so freaking unique and awesome and everyday you are growing into the best version of yourself. How cool is that?!
Hope at least one of these made you think or inspired you. Have a great rest of the week!!